METHODS TO INFORM POLICY
73% of state IVP programs that had a legislative session in 2013, reported having mechanisms or protocols for communicating with policy makers about IVP.
Compared to 2011, more states reported direct uses of most methods to inform policy in 2013. The most common methods to inform policy that were used by state injury and violence prevention programs in 2013 included:
- Participating in boards and/or commissions (71%);
- Working to increase public awareness of laws (71%);
- Recommending health department positions on bills (63%);
- Working to encourage adoption of organizational policies (61%); and
- Evaluating/assessing/monitoring the impact of laws (61%).
IVP Programs with Mechanism or Protocols for Communicating IVP Issues to Policy Makers